Free Gregorian Chant Workshop
Again we’re offering a short 1 hour workshop in Gregorian Chant. There are a number of options available depending on your experience with reading music and singing. Contact me for more details.
The agenda, depending on ability, ranges from the easier hymns:
- Veni Creator
- Adoro te devote
a revision of the Sunday ordinaries from Missa Orbis Factor and Credo 1
- Agnus Dei
to the propers for the following Sunday:
- Suscepimus, Deus - a typical mode 1 introit - a great intro to chant
- Gustate et videte - taste and see - a mode 3 communion antiphon
- A mode 7 Alleluia - the day’s one is not familiar to me, so might substitute a known tune to make things easier.
- Populum humilem - the offertory antiphon for the day - same mode as the well known simple Salve Regina so has a familiar sound.
With a new baby on the horizon, it’s worth mapping out the upcoming second Sundays of the month to give some idea of what to expect.
- July 10 : 8th Sunday Post Pentecost (propers outlined above)
- August 14 : 13th Sunday Post Pentecost
- September 11 : 17th Sunday Post Pentecost
- October 1 : Saturday, wedding of Jessica and Gerard Smith at Rouse Hill. Low Mass with hymns. They have requested Veni Creator (the Couturier one if possible) and Adoro Te.
- October 9 : 21st Sunday Post Pentecost
- November 13 : 26th (2nd last) Sunday Post Pentecost - the last few Sundays of the year all use the same propers (Dicit Dominus), so this should be easier
- December 11 : Gaudete Sunday! (aka 3rd Sunday of Advent) - we should know this one.
- December 25 falls on a Sunday this year - we usually have a midnight Mass somewhere - I remember last year at Mulgoa singing by candle-light. Very beautiful but a little challenging on the technical side.
The baby is due early September, so looking for ways to simplify Masses around that time.